Brushing your teeth while wearing braces isn’t that much different than brushing without them. After all, you’ll still probably use a toothbrush and floss. However, making sure you do a good job is more important than ever. When you’re wearing braces, food particles and plaque have many more places to get trapped. If you don’t brush and floss properly, your enamel may stain and your teeth may decay around the brackets or bands.
First, you need to carefully brush and rinse after every meal or snack with a fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. Secondly, you definitely need to take the time to floss well between braces and under all of the wires. Finally, you need to visit the dentist regularly between orthodontic appointments to ensure that your gums and teeth remain healthy throughout the process.
If you’d still like more detailed tips, check out the simple and effective braces cleaning tips from Oral-B:
- Prepare to brush. Take off elastics, and any other removable parts of your orthodontic appliance.
- Clean your braces. Use your brush at a 45-degree angle to clean around the wires and pins of your braces. Brush from the top of each wire and then from the bottom. (Take time to ensure that all plaque and debris are removed, and that you work all the way around upper and lower teeth.)
- Brush your teeth. Clean each tooth individually. First, place your brush at a 45-degree angle to the junction between the tooth and the gum, then apply gentle pressure as you move in a circular motion. Do this for about 10 seconds. Use the same brushing action on all outer and inner tooth surfaces, tilting the brush as needed to better reach the insides of smaller front teeth.
- Floss once a day with super floss, a type of floss for cleaning around appliances such as braces. Have your dental professional show you how to use this floss, or follow the instructions on the product package.
- Rinse and check your teeth. Rinse thoroughly with water or mouth rinse, and examine your teeth and braces in the mirror. They should sparkle, shine and feel clean.
Remember, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact Dr. Carter!