Recently I went on vacation for a week to Jamaica. I asked Dr. Carter if there were any special instructions for taking my aligners on vacation. What if the Invisalign aligners broke while I was out of the country? What if the airline lost my luggage with my aligners stowed inside? Here are some tips from Carter Orthodontics for vacationing with Invisalign:
- Carter Orthodontics can order a new set of aligners and have them shipped to your hotel. However, it does take 2 weeks for the aligners to be delivered. So you’re out of luck if you’re only gone for a week. If you have time to wait for the aligners, call your orthodontist immediately to have them ordered. You will need to wear your previous set of aligners while you are waiting on your new set, so make sure to bring them along.
- If you’re going out of town or out of the country for a week or a short period, take your previous set of aligners, your current set, and your next set with you. If your current set breaks or gets lost, call your orthodontist immediately. Let them know how long you’ve been in your current set of aligners. This will help them determine if you should put your previous set of aligners in or your next set of aligners.
- If you’re flying, make sure to pack your Invisalign aligners in your carry on baggage, just in case your luggage is lost.
- Also, take along an extra case. I left mine in the airport restroom on the very first day. The rest of the week I was constantly trying to find a safe place to store them while I was eating.
- While staying at the resort I left my purse in the room in the safe. If I took my aligners out to eat, I would wrap them in a napkin or paper towel (since I lost my case) and immediately put them in my pocket or my husband’s pocket so they weren’t accidentally thrown away. Then there was the dilemma of not having a toothbrush or toothpaste handy. When you’re in a jam like this, the best thing to do is rinse your mouth out a few times with water and rinse your aligners off as well before you put them back in. As soon as you’re back in your hotel room, you can brush your teeth. It’s not ideal but it will do in a pinch.
I loved having my Invisalign aligners on vacation as opposed to metal braces. We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and I wanted our photos of this special event to look good. I wouldn’t have felt confident about my smile when our photos were being taken if I had a “metal mouth”. I’m half-way through my treatment and my smile is looking so much better. I can’t wait to see the finished product!
If you have any tips for vacationing with Invisalign, please let us know. Have a great summer!